For those of you that haven't heard. Kelli got me a gift certificate for a glider ride for my big 3-0. I was completely shocked!!! This was something I said I wanted to do a long time ago and I can't believe she remembered. Simply put...It was amazing. To be in an aircraft that does not have engines (I know sounds a little scary) but it was so peaceful. The only way I know how to describe it is, imagine what it would be like to be a bird. Flying through the air with no noise just looking down on everything and trusting the wind to keep you from falling.
The "airport" (more like a dirt run way) was way out in the desert. Two and a half hours from Tucson. For those that are unfamiliar with Arizona if you drive two and a half hours from Tucson in any direction you are in the middle of the desert. You climb into this Small aircraft with a rope attached to a small prop plane in front of you. The plane starts and leaves the ground and you follow shortly afterwards. after climbing to about 5000 feet into the air, the rope is released and you are flying based strictly on aerodynamics that some engineer came up with. The goal of gliding is to find "thermals" which are pockets of air rising which in turn pushes the aircraft up allowing you to stay in the air longer. It is more difficult than it sounds.
After about fifteen minutes into it, any of you that know me, know what I asked. CAN I FLY???? The pilot with me was really nice and said sure. Needless to say I was the source of us having to land shortly after. I was not as successful as he at find the "thermals." HA!
If you ever get the opportunity to take a glider ride...DO IT. It is one of the coolest things I have ever done.
Thanks Kelli for the awesome gift.
1 comment:
That's way cool...
Post a Comment