So, I guess that we are going through an interesting period (that's a nice way of putting it) with our lovely, angelic Keegan. I know some of you are thinking (because we have talked over the past few days) that I am just getting pretty much what I deserve...but was I strong-willed as a 3 year old? I am assuming that the answer to this is a big YES. I know I was as a teen and even still today, but this child is absolutely wearing me out. Let me just say that on Thursday our beautiful little ballerina got kicked out of class for yelling at the teacher because she did not want to do what was asked of her! I was absolutely embarrassed...plus, then she decided to hit me in the lobby area where all the other parents were waiting. That was just icing on the cake. Don't get me wrong...I love her dearly, she makes me laugh on an hourly basis, and she is truly a sweet hearted child. BUT...she defies authority just basically to see how far she can get. I know you are probably thinking...oh, that's just a three year old for you, but it's a little different...she just has a strong personality. She is not a compliant child, really, and many of the kiddos she hangs out with are so at times that makes me feel like I am just not doing something right as a mom. I know this is just the beginning of this feeling, but it is a horrible feeling to have! Kevin and I had a sit down "meeting" on Thursday evening and had to re-evaluate and change our discipline method to see if something else will work (time outs do not work, taking books away kind of works, etc). Please (to any parents of young children reading this) if you have a compliant child be thankful and to those of you that don't...know that there are other's out there in the same boat as you are (even if they aren't talking). Also, don't ever think that a parent isn't trying their hardest to get their children "under control"...they probably are trying and it just takes a lot more for their child than it might for yours (just something to keep in mind). I don't know why so many of us find it necessary to make it seem like there are no issues at home with our children...but in reality we all deal with something in our own way. I am, however, feeling much better with a copy of "The New Strong Willed Child" by Dr. James Dobson in hand...it's a good read and is making me feel a lot better about things in the York house right now! Alright...I am finished with my ranting!
And our little Klay...well, he is still trying to figure out this crawling business. he does a pretty good lunge forward and then starts crying. I am sure he will have it all figured out in no time! And can you believe that he will be 7 months old this week? Time flies by around here!
Monday, September 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment